Workout Overload – The Warning Signs
While working out can help you achieve your fitness goals, overdoing it can actually lead you to the path of self-destruction – literally. Just like everything else in life, too much of a good thing, even a healthy workout routine, can have a negative effect. In this case, too much exercise can actually lead to increased body fat accumulation.
So, how do you know if you are working out too much? Are there any telltale signs that can help you determine when it’s time to hit the brakes? Well, fortunately, there are. Here are some warning signs that can help you determine if you’re headed for a disastrous workout overload:
- Delayed recovery time. Do your muscles feel sore for days on end after your workout? If they do, then your body is telling you to slow it down a bit. Your muscles need some rest, too, you know.
- Mood swings. Overexertion commonly leads to anger, anxiety, confusion, depression and irritability. Are you exhibiting these signs? If you are, then you may need to take a much needed break.
- Are you feeling weak and lack the energy to do the things you’ve always done? If you are, then it’s time to take things slowly.
- Changes in appetite. A diminished appetite coupled with an increased craving for sugar and caffeine is a clear indication of workout overload.
- Weakened immune system. Pushing way past your limit when your body is giving clear signals that it needs to take a break will put your health at risk. It can weaken your immune system and make you susceptible to injuries and chronic inflammation.
Keep in mind that a healthy workout can help you reach your fitness goals, but overdoing it will never do you any good. Have you ever pushed yourself too far? Please share your insights in the comments section.